I picked up a fat quarter bundle of City Weekend when I was visiting the Quilting Loft in Seattle. I intentionally chose a bundle of fat quarters that weren’t girlie, because I have quite the stash of girlie fabric already. And then when Matt told me that one of his co-workers was expecting a little boy I knew just fabric to cut into!
I wanted to do something wonky, but I have a hard time with improv piecing. I like the look of it, and I think the process is fun. The problem that I have is that for me the process generates a lot of scraps, and I don’t like scraps. So I used a process that is still type A enough for my liking, yet produces a wonky look!
To start off, I knew that I wanted 9.5″ finished blocks, so I cut my fat quarters into 2 10.5″ tall strips. From the 10.5″ strips, I made slightly wonky cuts to produce all different width strips. Next I arranged the pieces in groups of 4-5, depending on how many I would need for a finished 9.5″ block. I sewed the groups together, pressed them, and trimmed them all to 9.5″ square.
Using the 9.5″ blocks, I arranged them until I liked the layout. I wanted to use some Kona snow sashing, and I included a few strips between groupings of blocks to break up the pattern a bit.
The backing is mostly a Moda woven from my stash and a row of piecing, separated by a strip of Kona.
Binding is Kona snow, quilted in an all over meandering.
Finished size is: 43.5″ x 47.5″
The quilt is now on it’s way to Seattle, I do hope that the mom-to-be loves it!
If there’s any interest, I can write up a tutorial for my piecing process. I didn’t take any photos along the way, but I can find an excuse to make some more blocks like this. 😉
PS Don’t forget to head over here for the giveaway! Ends Saturday, January 5th.