Addy and I spent several hours last night working on cupcake bites. I don’t even remember how I stumbled on that blog, but I’m a huge sucker for anything miniaturized. Food is no exception-though I really should try to limit my crafting to things that aren’t consumed. It sure would help keep me in check a bit more. 🙂
So, despite my growing list of unfinished projects, we decided to give these a try. I’m pretty proud of the fact that A.) a few of my cupcake bites actually do look like tiny cupcakes, and B.) my almost-three-year-old and I both survived another joint baking effort without any emotional scarring. Well, that we know of yet. It was a lot of fun though, and Addy was a pretty fun baking companion.
Here are our “itsy bitsy” masterpieces (which sounds WAY cuter when spoken by a 2 year old!):
The directions are in the link above, so I won’t include those here. I will say, I got far more than 50 cupcake bites from 1 batch. I think the mold that I used
for the cupcake bottoms was smaller than the mold used in the link, but I just used what was available at Michael’s
. I was able to use up all of the almond bark that I had laying around (yippee! less to move!). But I ran out of the dark chocolate melts for the cupcake bottoms, so several of the cake balls were just rolled in colored almond bark.
The best part-not only are they adorable, but they are yummy too! Luckily, I have several opportunities to share these with friends in the next few days. 🙂
Now on to that skirt…
I found this
fabric at a local shop
, and knew it would make a cute garment. And as much as the bubble skirt fad has passed, that was still the project that I couldn’t get off of my mind. I’m not head-over-heels in love with the finished product, but it’s cute enough. And I did already get 1 compliment in it!
I used my body measurements to determine the size of the pieces to cut. The waist was cut at 1.5x my measurement and gathered at the waistband. The bottom of the skirt flared out to about 2x the diameter that I wanted, so that it would gather nicely. I used a band of fabric at the bottom of the skirt to create the bubble effect, rather than lining the skirt.
This picture reminds me that Matt could really use some photog classes! Maybe for Christmas. 😉