I got the idea for this top while I was sewing a pillowcase dress for Addy last week. The fabric is from the apparel section at JoAnn Fabrics, purchased this spring.
I started with a simple rectangular shape. Based on my measurements I took in the top some, curved the neckline a bit, and curved the openings for my arms.
Once I had the basic shape sewn, I tried the top on and marked where I wanted the shirring to begin. I shirred a 3″ band and trimmed the bottom of the shirt 2″ from the shirring. The rolled hem didn’t look quite right to me, so I trimmed the bottom of the top to 1″ from the shirring. This time, after the rolled hem there was only a 1/2″ below the shirring. Perfect!
The last alteration that I made was to take in the sides of the top until I had a flattering fit. I also changed out my original cream tie at the neckline for the floral tie shown in the pictures. I’m so glad I did that!
I think this top will make a great pairing with my denim pencil skirt, which is probably the single most versatile piece in my spring/summer wardrobe. 🙂 Now I just need an occasion to wear it!