Before and after: Guest Room

I feel like this room is a work in progress, there’s still something missing.  But here are the pics so far:

Before (while Matt was peeling wallpaper!):
And After!
The bed:
And the pillows:
 
What we did:
Stripped wallpaper
Spackled where necessary
Removed baseboards
Painted walls (3 coats!!)
Painted baseboards and all trim
Replaced baseboards
Painted window frame (the window will be painted in the spring)
Replaced 2 light fixtures
Made quilt
Made 3 pillows
Arranged the furniture, over and over
Some things that still need to be done:
Buy pillow shams and a bed skirt
Replace the ceiling fan
I didn’t realize how short the quilt would be, so I think pillow shams will be necessary.  In our room we have a headboard and footboard, so we don’t need such a long quilt if we want it to extend the entire bed and cover the pillows.  Plus shams just look nice. 🙂  I’m going to buy them in plain cream because I don’t want to overdo it with the crazy patterned fabric.  Same with the bed skirt.  I’ll wait until I see them on sale, though.  No need to rush!
Now, on to those pillows.  I love them.  I want them for my room.  Here’s what I did to make them:
The first pillow was made from the selvage strips of the fabrics that I used in the quilt.  I used to think selvage projects were silly.  And I started saving the selvages for my friend Steph, because she said she had started collecting them for some projects.  But having all of the selvages piled up from the quilt got me thinking.  Maybe just 1 pillow?
It was a ton of fun to make, and so easy!
I sewed the selvages together by just laying them on top of one another with the woven edge on the outside.  I then added some fabric to form the top half of the pillow front.
The log cabin quilt was just a simple log cabin with a few logs ruffled before assembly.
The largest pillow was made with Texture Magic.  The center portion is where I used the texture magic.  I sewed the square with diagonal lines before shrinking it up.  I then framed it with pieced strips.
All of the pillow covers have button closures on the back to help keep them closed neatly.  And I serged the edges, because I hate the thought of raw edges, even in a pillow cover. 🙂
I think the room needs some sort of wall art, but it’s such a small, oddly shaped room that I don’t want it to be overwhelming.  I’m going to leave it as is for now, and maybe I’ll find something to go in there when I least expect it!
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s